The queen of the Adriatic
Cattolica a smiling tourist city!
In the fifteenth century the village consolidated itself as a resting place for those traveling between Rimini and Pesaro, offering taverns and inns to host travelers, as well as stations for changing horses, and farriers.
The fifties, in a transformation similar to that of the main centers of the Riviera Romagnola, saw the strongest demographic increase ever detected (the population doubled in twenty years) and a vast building process, with the construction of a large number of hotels and pensions, along with bars, restaurants and dance halls. At the same time, seafaring activity also extends and evolves.
In 1924 there were 224 boats with 700 employees and in 1934 the insufficient canal port was flanked by a new dock. Companies for the canning of sardines are born and clam fishing is also extended. In 1930 the Fisherman's House was established. Even the shipbuilding of small and medium size, already present from previous centuries, in the twentieth century expands modernizing. From the construction of trabaccoli (of which Cattolica was known in the nineteenth century), boats, spears and launches, we move on to the realization of modern motorboats and hulls for pleasure boating, up to yachts of considerable size.
The main places of interest are:
Museum of the Queen: today as a museum it brings together the main collections of finds from the area: the finds of the ancient era from two main excavation areas (Piazza del Mercato and Casa Filippini), models of traditional boats, marine and shipbuilding tools to which we add images that document the evolution of the port area and its facilities.
Sant'Apollinare Church: Cited for the first time in 1313, starting from the sixteenth century it was granted in succession to various monastic orders (Benedictines, Servites, Carmelites) until the end of the eighteenth century. It underwent major renovations in 1578 and 1782 by the Rimini architect Gaetano Cupioli and in 1795 the bell tower was erected, recently restored. The church preserves a canvas with Jesus Crucified, an illustrious example of Baroque in Valconca
Palazzo Mancini: Inaugurated in 1914 as a town hall, a function it still carries out, it is an imposing neo-Renaissance style building designed by Marcovigi with modifications by Pasquale Pienza
Covered Market: The decision to build a covered space to house the market dates back to the early 1920s and the structure was inaugurated in 1925. The building was located along the main road axis that leads from the city center (Palazzo Mancini) to the sea. Well cared for architecturally, it shows a style in harmony with the trends in vogue at the beginning of the twentieth century.
Piazza Primo Maggio: Since the late nineteenth century, the large square overlooking the sea has been the center of the tourist area. The building called the Grande Albergo overlooked it (the linguistic autarchy forbade it to be called Grand Hotel)
Multi-purpose cultural center: Built between 1979 and 1983 in Piazza della Repubblica, it was designed by the well-known architect and urban planner Pier Luigi Cervellati as a multifunctional structure for culture. The interior is a large semicircular "laboratory" supported by metal trusses, reinforced concrete, with exposed systems. It overlooks Piazza della Repubblica, a very large circular space, today a large arena (Arena della Regina) for summer shows and concerts.